Blog

Foreign Bodies

Animals investigate their surroundings through their senses, especially smell and taste. We have all seen our furry friends pick-up and taste, or play with, found items. In most cases, accidently ingested items will pass through an animal’s system. Sometimes, however, items may lodge in the stomach or intestine, causing serious illness. These are referred to as ‘foreign bodies’. The following are 2 such cases:

Toffee Rottenbucher1This is a section of ingested thread, which was wrapped around the tongue and extending into the intestines of a cat. When the cat became lethargic, wouldn’t eat and began vomiting, the owner recalled her chewing thread, so a foreign body was a possible cause for the problems. The thread was successfully removed during surgery and following a short course of fluids and antibiotics, the cat is recovering at home with her happy family.

Any guesses as to what this might be?

Sam StrohanA very sick dog presented at the clinic not eating and with progressively worse lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea. The patient was hospitalized for supportive treatments and tests, however, ultrasound and radiographs did not reveal any obvious foreign body. While the owners were considering surgery, the dog passed this soft object. He improved over several days with intravenous fluids and antibiotics, and once he was able to hold down food, returned home.

Comments are closed.

  • Categories

  • Recent Posts